Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mamma On The Move

My hubby has been on me for quite some time to write a blog about being an overseas momma.

I say, "who cares?"
He says, "just try it and see"

so here we are. My blog and my non-existent but soon to be loyal following, I'm sure!

Guess I'd better explain just a few things:
My dear hubby and I lived in Turkey for several years. Our desire was to live there forever. It's good to have desires although they don't always materialize the way you hope. Maybe one day.

It was just hubbs and I for a while, but yes that desire to see if I too could grow a person inside my belly started to sink in. But I had to have my ducks in a row. For me, that meant I had to be married 5 years and I had to be fluent in Turkish.
So, I became fluent in Turkish.
Then, we hit our 5 year anniversary.
Then, hubbster said "enough waiting already!" and our lil darling was conceived.

In a weird turn of events she was born in Texas and not Turkey. She traveled to Turkey when she was 4 months old to live until she was 6 months old. During this time hubbs and I closed our apartment and said goodbye to our dear friends.

At 9 months old we packed up the family and moved to Wenzhou, China for a few months. That was hell. Back to the states, sweetie pie turned one in Texas.

Now she's 14 months and we're moving to Shenzhen, China - right across from Hong Kong.

Oh, and did I mention we're expecting #2? This cutie will be born in March (or late Feb if they're an early arrival like their big sis) and yes, he/she WILL be born in China and no, I'm not too worried about it - the Chinese have managed to give birth to 1.3 BILLION people so they must know a thing or two about it!

Soooo... maybe you see the point in the blog? a little place to voice my musings on such topics as overseas travel with a toddler and infant, raising a family in a country you can't communicate in, teaching your kids to be citizens of the world while somehow giving them roots at the same time. Oh yeah, and pregnancy in a foreign country. We did that one with Baby Girl in Turkey. I'll share some thoughts in retrospect about that some day!

so that's what you're in for. Stay, leave, come and go - take a dip here every once in a while... could be kinda fun!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Chana! I forgot how great you are at writing and expressing yourself. I can't wait to see all of the updates about being a mom overseas. Totally great idea, hubbs!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad that you're blogging now! i'm looking forward to staying in touch more this way!